Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Next Generation

Every single day, I find myself thinking about and praying about "the next generation." After all, "the next generation" includes my family, so why wouldn't I be concerned about them? Johnny has been hammering us about "The Next Generation Initiative" lately. He's been laying out for us the desperate situation of our young society and the role we MUST play in their lives if we are to see "the next generation" be sold out for Jesus. Every single day of my life, I am surrounded by "the next generation"....my grandchildren. There are also many young people at church, they are all around us, watching us, listening to us and modeling after us. We must not think for a minute that they won't remember the stand that we took for Jesus and how we lived our lives. I am constantly reminded as I teach our
7th grade Sunday School class that these kids don't miss a thing and they don't forget anything either!
My heart remains burdened for this generation. We MUST do whatever it takes to reach out to them, mentor them, model before them, spend time with them and invest in their lives. Time is short. It's time to stop fooling ourselves that we have plenty of time....we simply don't. NOW is the time to invest in the life of a youth...now, while the sun remains in the sky....now. Tomorrow could be too late. OH Father....help us in our selfishness...help us to reach out and be a light to this "next generation" while there is still time.

1 comment:

"Virtuous Wannabe" said...

Oh Barb...this has been heavy on my heart for so long...I think about generational curses and how they have played on my family and not to mention many others. I always tell others, "You don't have to stay there, be the one to say 'as for me and my house, we are going to serve the Lord'", I tell them, "It can all start with you, don't be the wicked king, but be the God fearing, God-loving, God-honoring king." My heart is burdened for our next generation, even the simple things in life...how to cook, clean, love, etc....